A Literature-based Preschool Curriculum for Young Minds Everywhere
The Reasons We Chose The Itty-Bitty Bookworm for Our Program
There are many preschool programs from which to choose. Therefore, you may be asking yourself, “Why did my childcare provider choose the Itty-Bitty Book-worm?” I am so glad you asked . .
The Brain Behind the Bookworm
- The creator and writers are all early childhood professionals. More importantly, they have worked in a variety of settings, including child development centers, family child care centers, publics schools, and private schools.
- As recently, former early childhood teachers, they understand the needs of the teacher and children in today’s preschool settings.
- With the “Good Start, Grow Smart: Early Childhood Initiative,” more and more preschools are understanding the importance of early learning standards. Our curriculum addresses these standards each and every day.
- Evidence shows that the number of books to which a child is exposed has a significant impact on her/her emergent literacy skills.
- Our curriculum is based on the recommendations of NAEYC.
As former early childhood educators, the authors understand the importance of a curriculum based on reliable research. Therefore, while designing and writing the curriculum, the authors kept the following aspects at the front of their minds:
We hope you find our literature-based preschool curriculum to be educational, creative, and fun for your child!
- Children who are read to have an advantage in school.
- Children who learn to read early tend to be those who have books and have been taught the value of them.
- Shared reading, offering children a variety of print materials, and positive attitudes toward literacy promote early literacy skills.
- Books activate prior knowledge making learning information easier.
- Because research shows us time and time again just how important books and reading are to children, the authors of The Itty-Bitty Bookworm have based their curriculum on popular children’s books. Each month curriculum will focus on 4 different storybooks. The activities will coordinate with the themes of each book, as well.
- Just think, each month your child will not only be exposed to a comprehensive, stimulating, age-appropriate preschool curriculum, but lots of children’s literature, as well! Chances are, with this exposure, your child will begin to develop a life long love of reading.